Friday, October 10, 2008

Catherine's Day

this is Melbourne

a rare orchid- Vanda sanderiana, probaly as rare as Cath



tropical flowers-orange marigold to make Cath smile

another tropical flower " Bird of Paradise" for Cath's day

all photos were taken by orange tulip







Today is my dear sister, friend and soprano leader(Colours of Praise Gospel Choir) Catherine which we fondly call “ Cath”. She is a very beautiful person, inside and out. Her smiles, hugs or gentle pats on my shoulder have in many ways encouraged me to go on despite some difficulties that I hurdled emotionally and psychologically while taking Political Science in Melbourne University. It was a huge choir with lots of individual concerns being highly multiracial and multicultural, and she kept us-the sopranos together by her words and actions of encouragements. She faithfully does these stuff during Tuesday rehearsals and follows it up with email updates when one or few misses a rehearsal and gets worried when someone does not turn up successive weeks on rehearsals. She is very much concerned to us as " sopranos" and equally concerned to the entire music and creative arts ministry where she is s huge blessing not only to the ministry but to the entire church as well.









She has a gift of making everyone “ feel special” as she- with genuine care and love probably finds it effortlesss in saying “ hi” to us girls before or after each rehearsals and taps our shoulders , smile or hug each within her reach after every singing on Sunday mornings. I had great time singing with this choir because of the many encouragements from my leaders, Leah when I was starting then Cath with whom i became very close. She is capable of noticing that someone or me for one, is not on “my usual self “ and finds her way to speak without really intruding when someone is undergoing or when i was in difficult times. She is a good listener, cares a lot and willingly prays for my worries. There was a time when I refused to talk to anyone of my friends except her- and she has helped me a lot to “ keep holding up” despite the many confusing and difficult circumstances in my life- including my personal and family concerns( there was a most difficult time for me when my big brother has to undergo a neurosurgery and largely affected my academic performance as i was losing focus and after praying for me and my brother back home i had a good sleep as she reminded me to keep trusting God no matter what). With Cath, I never hesitated to “ open up” for she has always been very kind and willing to help in many ways.





I had spent quite a number of summers, winters, autumn and spring with her as a choir member but i had exceptional memories of her. First-when she lovingly took the time to pray for my personal concerns one Tuesday night. Second-when I was(along with few soprano friends) invited to witness their union one Saturday afternoon in Anglican Church where she is at her “most beautiful day to behold” as a bride to Mark, a handsome and talented musician also with the Creative Arts Ministry. I was very thrilled to the nines while watching them march to the altar, exchange vows and when they shared their first kiss as husband and wife. The old pastor was perfectly right when upon the announcement of their engagement in the church he said” they will play great music together". Indeed, the Lord has been so good in making them for each other. They look very much happy with each other and along with my friends, we wished them well on their special day. This couple has been a joyful encouragement to us in the creative ministry. Third-when i had the chance to chill-out with the soprano girls while Cath’s then new husband was away. It was a night without any choir rehearsals at all and we watched the “ Australian Idol” finals in their apartment in the suburbs. It was quite a long ride for me in the train and another long walk before finally arriving to their place but it was well much worth it. After partaking the dinner which we ordered from an Asian restaurant, I got a taste of Cath’s cake lovingly baked for the girls. Sweet tooth as I am, I loved having a large portion, well probably the largest share when some girls wanted to have just a bite as some were on a “ diet”. We were rooting for someone else to be the “ Idol” but another emerged as a winner. Regardless, we had tremendous fun as it was a night different from many nights- it was a night of bonding and building stronger friendships and relationships with each other, appreciating and celebrating each individuality yet enjoying the company of each other despite our varied backgrounds. Probably the only thing common to us was- our hearts were happy singing for our Creator’s glory.





Happy birthday my dear Cath, thanks very much for being a very huge blessing to me in many special ways. Many happy returns for the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i would love to go there! nice photos!